Wednesday 14 December 2011

Well, its about time!

Its been way too long since I've updated my blog, so decided its about time I let all my adoring fans know what I've been up to for the last 6 months (all 7 of them <3)...

So, I discovered Unity (www.unity3d.com). If you don't know what Unity is, its basically a development tool that can be used for creating 2D/3D games, with more of an emphasis on 3D. The beauty of Unity, is it takes away the more painful parts of developing a 3D game. Unity handles all the difficult rendering/physics related stuff to do with 3D engines (and a bunch of other stuff I wont mention). The parts that are generally hugely time consuming to understand and develop. To someone like me that doesn't have a huge interest in that side of 3D game development, this is HUGE (with capitals to emphasize just how truly awesome I think this is!!!)

I'm more interested in the visuals and game mechanics side of game dev, so for me to be able to throw in a few models, and write a few scripts in C# and whip up something that would have taken me years in just a few months is truly phenomenal. Granted there is still months of development work to go (as a one man band its all about the time I put in around the rest of my life).

But I'm getting my head around it, and have managed to create a few tech demos which while not showing a lot of gameplay, show some of the work that has been done.

You can see the two demo's here:

This was the initial design idea for the game (realistic terrains):
http://www.fingerbait.com/TechDemos/TurretDemo/WebPlayer.html

After playing around with some different visual settings and performance, I decided to go with a different approach to the game board shown here:
http://www.fingerbait.com/TechDemos/CubeDemo/WebPlayer.html

So over the coming months, I expect to get my first game done and hopefully out the door.

But for now its 3D ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment